in each of the pockets we have a small piece of paper with a christmas activity for the countdown to christmas. some of the pockets also have a chocolate treat...i think there r only 5 chocolate treat ones.
here r our activities
- Put up the christmas tree
- Visit Santa
- Go gift shopping
- Make wrapping paper
- Draw christmas pictures
- Watch a christmas movie (the old ones i watched when i was little, u know the animated ones with rudolph saving the day)
- Listen to christmas stories and then draw a picture of the story
- Donate a gift to the wishing tree
- write christmas cards
- Email santa
- Play christmas games on the computer (see links below)
- carols by candlelight
- christmas concert
- listen to carols
- make a christmas decoration
- make the christmas cake
- make christmas coookies
- christmas window art
- Make grandparent presents
- make a hand and feet reindeer
- make christmas gift tags
- wrap christmas presents
- make a christmas table centrepiece
- share the story of christmas, track santa on santa tracker (maybe midnight mass, still up for discussion)
- share the joy of christmas
we like having activities in our advent calendar, builds nice excitment for the day and helps us teach the kids about giving and not just recieveing and we r starting to teach them this year about christmas and the purpose of the celebration.
here r some christmas links to great websites
http://www.thekoala.com/christmas.htm (games, gift tags, recipes, australian christmas site)
http://www.northpole.com/Village.html (email santa, santa tracker, stories, games, recipes)
none of this really cost me any money. we have a cloth reusable advent calendar, there r plenty of colouring in pages on the internet. the only money i have spent is the repositional paint for the window decorating and i bought the old christmas movies. but for the most part free activities for us to do each day. mostly from free internet sites. if the two above dont suit your needs try a search it brings up plenty! including countless sites of colouring in pages and stories.
ive used the above two before, including in a school situation.